Cookies Notice

This website uses cookies to help you have a better user experience. Cookies are not used to collect personal information. For more information, please see our cookies policy.

Rate this page
Rate this content

Scheduled medical treatment in another member state

  • In application of Community Regulations 883/2004 and 987/2009, under  certain conditions you may be entitled to receive programmed medical treatment in another EU Member State, European Economic Area or Switzerland. The main condition is that the treatment features among the services provided for in the state in which the person concerned resides and, because of their state of health and the probable course of the illness, cannot be provided within a medically justifiable period of time. This treatment must be authorised in advance, and is accredited to the health institution of the country where you are going to receive it with an E-112-ES (S2) form.
  • In application of Directive 2011/24/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 09/03/11, on the application of patients' rights in cross-border healthcare. The Ministry of Health provides information about this option on its website: Cross-border healthcare in the EU.


If you have any other questions, you can send them to us through the consultation mailbox, selecting the topic "International Medical Assistance".

If you need to make an enquiry to the National Contact Point of the Ministry of Health, please use this form.

When is it not necessary to apply for Form E-112-ES (S2)?

For renal dialysis treatment, oxygen therapy, special asthma treatment, echocardiography in case of chronic autoimmune diseases and chemotherapy. In these case, care is covered by the European Health Insurance Card or Provisional Replacement Certificate. To this end, and to ensure that the treatment is accessible during the insured person's temporary stay, this should be the subject of a prior agreement between the insured person and the unit providing the treatment.


In the Public Health Service. Authorisation for programmed medical treatment in another Member State is the responsibility of the  Public Health Service of the  Autonomous Community, which will issue, where necessary, the mandatory "Authorisation for the granting of form E112 / S2".

The National Social Security Institute. Once authorised, you must go to a Social Security Attention and Information Centre or to the Provincial Directorate of the National Social Security Institute to obtain form E-112-ES (S2).
To apply in person, you can make an appointment at  the Social Security Electronic Office:  and clicking on  Prior appointment for benefits and other procedures:. Alternatively, you can call the 24-hour-a-day automated prior appointment service, on 901 10 65 70. To facilitate making an appointment, you must be able to provide your foreign resident identification number (NIE) and your postcode immediately you make the call.

Who can apply for form E-112-ES (S2)?

Those entitled to medical assistance and their dependent beneficiaries who comply with Spanish law and Community Social Security Regulations.

Complementary Content