Y SEGURIDAD SOCIAL
Please follow the link to the Processes and Procedures section to see a simplified version.
- Whoever paid for the burial expenses.
- Unless there is proof to the contrary, it is presumed that these expenses have been paid by the surviving spouse, the surviving partner of a common-law couple, the children and the relatives of the deceased that they habitually lived with, in this order.
- 46.50 euros.
The deceased must be in one of the following situations at the time of death:
- Registered or in a situation similar to registered.
- A retirement pensioner or recipient of contributory permanent disability benefits.
Even where an exclusion period is not required, when the deceased was responsible for paying contributions, they must be paid up-to-date.
This entitlement is not granted:
- When the deceased is not registered at the time of death.
- When the worker in question is missing (either in an accident, work-related or otherwise, or for any other reason) and presumed dead.
- SOVI pensioners, as the death assistance benefit is not covered under that Scheme.
The original documents indicated below must be presented accompanied by a copy for their attestation or a photocopy already attested, except for documents in point 1 where only the original will be required.
1. Accreditation of the applicant's identity by means of the following valid documentation:
Spanish Citizens: National Identity Card (DNI).
Foreign citizens, whether resident or non-resident in Spain: Passport or, where applicable, valid identity document from the country of origin and NIE (Foreigner Identification Number) required by the AEAT for payment purposes.
2. Death Certificate of the deceased.
3. If there is a family relationship between the applicant and the deceased, updated Family Record Book or Certificates proving this family relationship issued by the Civil Registry or by the registry of common-law couples of the autonomous region or town of residence.
4. Certificate from the town council proving cohabitation with the deceased party of the common-law couple and the various relatives of the spouse and children under legal age.
5. If there is no family relationship between the applicant and the deceased, a document certifying payment of the burial costs.